Browse Items (23 total)

  • Tags: 4 Group

BWynnWynn1501-036.jpg
This was the operation on which Ian Wynn's aircraft was lost. Captain was Squadron Leader P R Turgel. Item contains:
1. A list of crews on the operation.
2. Map of routes to target.
3. Luftwaffe night fighter combat claims for 25/26 May 1943.…

PCulkinJ1702.jpg
Jean Culkin grew up in Sunderland and worked as a tea girl and then a typist in a reserved occupation. She discusses her life and her wedding to her husband, John George Mackel Culkin. He was an apprentice at RAF Halton before becoming a fitter…

PMcClementsR1503.jpg
The crew of V for Victor stand in a line under the nose of their Halifax 'ZA-V'. Captioned
'Aircrew V-Victor Halifax Mark III
No 10 Squadron No. 4 Group Royal Air Force- Bomber Command Melbourne Yorkshire England
Completed 38 Operations -July…

PMcClementsR15020005.jpg
Model of Rob McClement's Halifax ZA-V mounted on a stand with an engraved plaque. Under the base of the Halifax model is an inscription 'Made for R. McClements by German P.O.W. at Melbourne'.

BReattigDWRaettigDWv10001.jpg
Wartime memoir covering Dennis Raettig's training at Blackpool and the posting to 104 Squadron at Royal Air Force Driffield in August 1941. Worked on Wellington aircraft and mentions that Driffield also hosted the blind approach landing flight…

SChattertonJ159568v10542.jpg
Shows a single bomb load for operation. Details distributor and preselection settings. Includes timings and bombing heights, On the reverse mentions Newhaven, Parramatta and Wanganui marking, pathfinders, master bomber actions and call sign. Includes…

RAF Linton-on-Ouse is in Yorkshire five miles south west from Easingwold. Construction began in 1936 and it opened in May 1937 with a grass surface. Concrete runways were laid August 1939-1940. 78 Squadron was replaced by 77 in the summer of 1940 and…

RAF Dishforth was in Yorkshire, three miles north from Boroughbridge. It opened in September 1936 with a grass surface. It was home to 10 Squadron and 78 Squadron at the start of the war. 51 Squadron was in residence from December 1939 to May 1942,…

RAF Croft was in Yorkshire, six miles south of Darlington. It had three hard runways and opened in October 1941 as part of 4 Group. The first occupant was 78 Squadron, initially with Whitleys but the squadron converted to Halifaxes in April 1942. It…

640 Squadron was formed in January 1944 at RAF Leconfield as part of 4 Group Bomber Command. It was initially equipped with the Halifax Mk 3 converting to the Halifax Mk 6 in March 1945. It was disbanded in May 1945.
It was stationed at: RAF…

429 Squadron was formed in November 1942 as part of 4 Group Bomber Command, quickly transferring to 6 Group in January 1943. It flew Main Force operations until the end of the war and disbanded in May 1946.
It was stationed at: RAF East Moor and RAF…

427 Squadron was formed in November 1942 as part of 4 Group Bomber Command but was transferred to 6 Group in January 1943.
It was stationed at: RAF Croft and RAF Leeming.
Aircraft flown included: Wellington, Halifax and Lancaster.
Wartime losses:…

426 Squadron was formed in October 1942 as part of 4 Group Bomber Command, transferring to 6 Group in January 1943. It flew with the Group until it was moved into Transport Command in June 1945 and flew trooping flights until it disbanded in December…

425 Squadron was formed in June 1942 as part of 4 Group Bomber Command, transferring to 6 Group in January 1943. In May 1943 it left for North Africa and operated from bases there until returning to the UK in November. It re-joined 6 Group and flew…

424 Squadron was formed in October 1942 as part of 4 Group Bomber Command, transferring to 6 Group the following January. In May 1943 it was posted to North Africa from where it flew until October 1943 before returning to 6 Group and flying Main…

104 Squadron was originally formed during the First World War and reformed in 1936. It converted to Blenheims in 1938 and was a training squadron until April 1940 when it was absorbed into 13 Operational Training Unit. It was reformed again in April…

By the start of the Second World War 77 Squadron was equipped with Whitleys at RAF Driffield as part of 4 Group. The squadron took part in the early leaflet dropping and bombing campaigns. By the end of April 1942 it had carried out the most…

58 Squadron was first formed in 1916 and was then re-formed in 1924. By 1939, it was part of Coastal Command but was transferred to Bomber Command as part of 4 Group in February 1940. It flew bombing operations until April 1942 when it became part of…

35 Squadron was formed in 1916 and reformed in 1929. By 1939 it was a training unit, equipped with a mix of Battles, Ansons and Blenheims. In November 1940 it was reformed as part of 4 Group at RAF Linton on Ouse flying Halifaxes. In August 1942 the…

PCavalierRG17010006.jpg
12 air-to-air photographs of a Halifax. Captioned
'Bomber Command 4 Group.
Halifax A/C 76 Sqd. Sqd/L. Bickford.
R.A.F. Middleton St. George, Yorks.
August 6th 1941'

RAF East Moor was in Yorkshire eight miles north of York, and was a sub-station of RAF Linton-on-Ouse. It was constructed in 1941-42 with three concrete runways, two T2 hangars, one B1 repair hangar, 36 frying pan aircraft dispersals. It opened in…

RAF Driffield was in Yorkshire, 12 miles north from Beverley. Construction began in 1935 and it opened in July 1936. The station was used by Fighter Command and Transport Command as well as Bomber Command. The runways were concreted in 1943 and it…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2