Browse Items (3 total)

  • Tags: 214 Squadron

214 Squadron originally formed in 1917 as 14 (Naval) Squadron it became 214 Squadron on the formation of the RAF in April 1918. By September 1939 the squadron was flying Wellingtons as part of 3 Group stationed at RAF Methwold. It took part in its…

RAF Methwold was in Nofolk, 10 miles north-west of Brandon. It opened with grass runways in 1939 as a satellite airfield for RAF Feltwell, just to the south. The runways were concreted in 1943 and it reopened in May 1944. Flying ceased in 1946 and…

AHallettB161122.mp3
Bill Hallett was born in Over Wallop in 1922. He joined the RAF in 1942 despite having an exemption due to the work he was doing at Tidworth Barracks. He flew operations in Stirlings and B-17s as a flight engineer with 214 Squadron. Rather than…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2