Browse Items (14 total)

  • Tags: 2 Group

YBattyAHD619060v1.pdf
Diary of Dennis Batty 20 May 1940 to 27 June 1941 listing his operations over France and Germany in Blenheims and listing aircrew lost.

SDexterKI127249v10015.jpg
History from opening on 22 November 1942 to civilian use up to January 1981. Originally 2 Group with 98 and 180 squadrons flying B-25. Later based 514 Squadron Lancaster of 3 Group then 192 Squadron of 100 Group flying Wellington. Mosquito and…

RAF Alconbury was in Cambridgeshire three miles north-west of Huntingdon. It opened in 1938 as a satellite station for RAF Upwood. By the start of the war the station was used as a satellite station for RAF Wyton in 2 Group and the Battles of 12, 40…

487 Squadron was formed in August 1942 as part of 2 Group Bomber Command. On June 1st 1943 the unit transferred to 2 Tactical Air Force under which it carried out intruder operations for the rest of the war. It was disbanded in September 1945.

It…

226 Squadron was formed in Italy in 1918 and reformed in 1937. In September 1939 it was part of the Advanced Air Striking Force in France flying Battles. It suffered heavy losses and regrouped at RAF Sydenham before moving to RAF Wattisham as part of…

218 Squadron was originally formed in 1918 and by September 1939 it was stationed in France as part of the Advanced Air Striking Force equipped with Battles. After suffering heavy losses during the German advance in May 1940 the squadron moved back…

101 Squadron served in the First World War and was re-formed in March 1928. During the Second World War, they flew Blenheims until May 1941 as part of 2 and 3 Group Bomber Command. The squadron was moved to 1 Group in October 1942, it converted to…

98 Squadron was part of 2 Group and equipped with Battles in 1939. It was originally a training squadron and was not operational despite being located in France between April and June 1940. The squadron was transferred to Coastal Command and sent to…

RAF Wyton is in Cambridgeshire, four miles north east from Huntingdon. It first opened in 1916 but construction of a new airfield began in 1935 and it reopened in July 1936 as part of 2 Group. 139 Squadron and 114 Squadron flew Hinds and later…

RAF West Raynham was in Norfolk, two miles from the village of the same name and five miles south west of Fakenham . It opened in 1939 initially with grass runways as a training station for 2 Group. From 1940, a wide assortment of aircraft types,…

RAF Methwold was in Nofolk, 10 miles north-west of Brandon. It opened with grass runways in 1939 as a satellite airfield for RAF Feltwell, just to the south. The runways were concreted in 1943 and it reopened in May 1944. Flying ceased in 1946 and…

RAF Great Massingham was in in Norfolk 12 miles east of King’s Lynn. It opened in September 1940 as a satellite station for RAF West Raynham with grass runways. As part of 2 Group the station was home to Blenheim squadrons and, for a month in May…

RAF Foulsham was in Norfolk 15 miles north west of Norwich. It opened in October 1942 with three tarmac runways as part of 2 Group. The first occupants were 98 and 180 Squadrons. They became operational in January 1943. In June 1943, the station…

RAF Feltwell is in Norfolk, ten miles west of Thetford. It opened in April 1937 and was operated by 3 Group Bomber Command with Harrows of 214 and 37 Squadrons. They converted to Wellingtons in May 1939. By November 1940 the station was occupied by…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2