Browse Items (5 total)

  • Tags: 420 Squadron

RAF Tholthorpe was in Yorkshire, six miles east from Boroughbridge. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in August 1940 as a grass field used by Linton-on-Ouse as a satellite. It closed for rebuilding and to have concrete runways laid in December…

RAF Skipton-on-Swale was in Yorkshire four miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in August 1942 with tarmac runways. 420 Squadron flew in that month but left again in October, possibly due to the incomplete state of…

RAF Middleton St George was in County Durham, six miles east of Darlington. Construction began in 1939, concrete runways were laid in 1940 and the first squadron arrived in April 1941. It became a Royal Canadian Air Force station in October 1942 and…

RAF Dalton was in Yorkshire four miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1941 and it opened in November 1941 with a grass surface. 102 Squadron moved in that month with Whitleys and was joined by its Conversion Flight with Halifaxes in…

RAF Waddington is in Lincolnshire, three miles south of Lincoln. It opened in November 1916, closed after the end of the First World War and reopened in March 1937. Concrete runways were laid in 1943. Waddington was home to several squadrons flying…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2