Browse Items (5 total)

  • Tags: 424 Squadron

RAF Topcliffe was in Yorkshire three miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1939 and it opened in September 1940 as a grass airfield. In October 1940 77 Squadron moved in, staying until September 1941, and was joined by 102 Squadron from…

RAF Skipton-on-Swale was in Yorkshire four miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in August 1942 with tarmac runways. 420 Squadron flew in that month but left again in October, possibly due to the incomplete state of…

RAF Dalton was in Yorkshire four miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1941 and it opened in November 1941 with a grass surface. 102 Squadron moved in that month with Whitleys and was joined by its Conversion Flight with Halifaxes in…

424 Squadron was formed in October 1942 as part of 4 Group Bomber Command, transferring to 6 Group the following January. In May 1943 it was posted to North Africa from where it flew until October 1943 before returning to 6 Group and flying Main…

RAF Leeming is in Yorkshire seven miles south west from Northallerton. Construction began in 1939 as a grass airfield and it opened in June 1940. 10 Squadron arrived in July and 7 and 102 Squadrons the following month but 102 left in September and 7…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2