Browse Items (5 total)

  • Tags: 419 Squadron

RAF Topcliffe was in Yorkshire three miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1939 and it opened in September 1940 as a grass airfield. In October 1940 77 Squadron moved in, staying until September 1941, and was joined by 102 Squadron from…

RAF Mildenhall was in Suffolk eight miles north of Newmarket. It opened in 1934 and by September 1939 the station was home to 149 Squadron in 3 Group Bomber Command. The squadron flew Wellingtons until converting to Stirlings in late 1941. In…

RAF Middleton St George was in County Durham, six miles east of Darlington. Construction began in 1939, concrete runways were laid in 1940 and the first squadron arrived in April 1941. It became a Royal Canadian Air Force station in October 1942 and…

RAF Croft was in Yorkshire, six miles south of Darlington. It had three hard runways and opened in October 1941 as part of 4 Group. The first occupant was 78 Squadron, initially with Whitleys but the squadron converted to Halifaxes in April 1942. It…

RAF Leeming is in Yorkshire seven miles south west from Northallerton. Construction began in 1939 as a grass airfield and it opened in June 1940. 10 Squadron arrived in July and 7 and 102 Squadrons the following month but 102 left in September and 7…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2