Browse Items (6 total)

  • Tags: 408 Squadron

RAF Linton-on-Ouse is in Yorkshire five miles south west from Easingwold. Construction began in 1936 and it opened in May 1937 with a grass surface. Concrete runways were laid August 1939-1940. 78 Squadron was replaced by 77 in the summer of 1940 and…

RAF Balderton was in Nottinghamshire, two miles south of Newark-on-Trent. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in June 1941 with grass runways as part of 5 Group. It became home to 408 Squadron and its Hampdens in December 1941. Its runways were…

RAF Leeming is in Yorkshire seven miles south west from Northallerton. Construction began in 1939 as a grass airfield and it opened in June 1940. 10 Squadron arrived in July and 7 and 102 Squadrons the following month but 102 left in September and 7…

RAF Syerston was in Nottinghamshire, seven miles south-west of Newark-on-Trent. It opened in December 1940, and concrete runways were laid in 1942. It reopened as part of 5 Group Bomber Command. It was home to several squadrons and units flying a…

RAF Lindholme was an airfield in Yorkshire, seven miles north east of Doncaster. It was originally called RAF Halfield Woodhouse and opened in 1940 as a grass airfield. Its two runways were concreted and it reopened in October 1942 as a training…

AMooreR160727.mp3
Raymond Moore flew 31 operations as a flight engineer with 408 Squadron. He describes initial training at Skegness and then further training at Cosford, Halton and St Athan. He describes the crewing-up procedure at Eastmoor and describes the…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2