Browse Items (6 total)

  • Tags: 405 Squadron

RAF Topcliffe was in Yorkshire three miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1939 and it opened in September 1940 as a grass airfield. In October 1940 77 Squadron moved in, staying until September 1941, and was joined by 102 Squadron from…

RAF Linton-on-Ouse is in Yorkshire five miles south west from Easingwold. Construction began in 1936 and it opened in May 1937 with a grass surface. Concrete runways were laid August 1939-1940. 78 Squadron was replaced by 77 in the summer of 1940 and…

RAF Leeming is in Yorkshire seven miles south west from Northallerton. Construction began in 1939 as a grass airfield and it opened in June 1940. 10 Squadron arrived in July and 7 and 102 Squadrons the following month but 102 left in September and 7…

RAF Pocklington was in Yorkshire 14 miles east of York. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in June 1941 when it became home to 405 Squadron, the first Canadian squadron in Bomber Command. In August 1942 102 Squadron arrived at Pocklington and…

RAF Driffield was in Yorkshire, 12 miles north from Beverley. Construction began in 1935 and it opened in July 1936. The station was used by Fighter Command and Transport Command as well as Bomber Command. The runways were concreted in 1943 and it…

PNuttingS1704.jpg
Sinclair Nutting Grew up in Canada and worked on the family farm before he volunteered for the Royal Air Force. He flew operations as a rear gunner with 405 Squadron. After the war he emigrated to Australia.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2