Browse Items (10 total)

  • Tags: 90 Squadron

LParryHP2220054v1.pdf
Flying log book for navigators, air bombers, air gunners, flight engineers for Hugh Parry, air gunner, covering the period from 27 May 1944 to 16 October 1945. Details his flying training, operations flown and post war flying. He was stationed at…

PParryHP1609.jpg
Hugh Parry was born in Oswestry and joined the Air Force in April 1943 and volunteered to be an air gunner. Knowing that there was a height restriction on air gunners of six feet he hid his height by wearing baggy trousers. After training, he was…

RAF Wratting Common was in Cambridgeshire three miles east from Balsham. Construction began in 1942 and it opened in May 1943 with concrete runways. 90 Squadron arrived in May, staying until October 1943 when it was replaced by 1651 HCU in November,…

RAF Woolfox Lodge was in Rutland, five miles north west of Stamford, Lincolnshire. Construction started in 1939 and it was opened in 1940, initially as a satellite airfield to RAF Cottesmore, then later to RAF North Luffenham. It was first used…

90 Squadron originally formed in 1917 and by 1939 it was equipped with Blenheims and used as a training squadron for Bomber Command. It merged with 35 Squadron to become 17 Operational Training Unit in April 1940. The squadron reformed in May 1941 as…

RAF West Raynham was in Norfolk, two miles from the village of the same name and five miles south west of Fakenham . It opened in 1939 initially with grass runways as a training station for 2 Group. From 1940, a wide assortment of aircraft types,…

RAF Upwood was in Cambridgeshire two miles south west of Ramsey and seven miles north of Huntingdon . It re-opened with grass runways in 1937 with Blenheim squadrons and later served as a training station until it was converted to concrete runways in…

RAF Great Massingham was in in Norfolk 12 miles east of King’s Lynn. It opened in September 1940 as a satellite station for RAF West Raynham with grass runways. As part of 2 Group the station was home to Blenheim squadrons and, for a month in May…

RAF Bottesford was in Lincolnshire, seven miles north west of Grantham. It became operational in November 1941 as part of 5 Group Bomber Command. It was occupied by 207 Squadron with Manchesters before converting to Lancasters in March 1942. 207…

PCollyerSmithJ1514.jpg
Side, slightly rear view of Stirling Mk 3 XY-T EH906 on a dispersal. Wheel chocks, one access ladder and a stepladder are visible. In the background, Nissen huts, drums and bicycles.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2