Browse Items (7 total)

  • Tags: 301 Squadron

AStachiewiczM170119.mp3
Mieczyslaw describes his military training from his Polish secondary school before volunteering for the Polish Air Force. He was evacuated to Warsaw but the railway lines were cut by the Germans. His squadron reassembled on the Romanian border before…

RAF Swinderby was in Lincolnshire, eight miles south-west of Lincoln. It opened in August 1940 as part of 1 Group Bomber Command when it was home to the first two Polish Squadrons with the RAF. The runways were concreted in November 1941, and it…

RAF Bramcote was in Warwickshire six miles south east of Nuneaton. It opened in September 1939 when 215 Squadron with Wellingtons moved in but stayed for just two weeks. During 1940 four Polish squadrons formed at RAF Bramcote with Battles. 300 and…

301 (Polish) Squadron was formed at Bramcote on 22nd July 1940. The squadron was withdrawn from operational duties and disbanded on 7th April 1943. The majority of the current crews were transferred to No. 300 (Polish) Squadron, remaining at RAF…

RAF Winthorpe was in Nottinghamshire, three miles north from Newark. It opened in September 1940 when it was home to 300 Squadron and 301 Squadron. It was later used as a relief landing ground until its runways were concreted in 1942. When re-opened…

RAF Hemswell was in Lincolnshire, eight miles east of Gainsborough. It was built in 1918 for the Royal Flying Corps. The Station closed in 1919 and returned to farmland but in 1936 it reopened as a bomber station with grass runways flying a variety…

MBeltonSLS190305-151120-030001.jpg
Outlines the history of RAF Hemswell starting from its origin as RAF Harpswell in 1918 until peacetime operations in the the 50s. The station was equipped with Ansons, then Blenheims. Part of No 3 Group, 61 and 144 Squadrons. Changed to No 5 Group,…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2