Browse Items (7 total)

  • Tags: 139 Squadron

RAF Alconbury was in Cambridgeshire three miles north-west of Huntingdon. It opened in 1938 as a satellite station for RAF Upwood. By the start of the war the station was used as a satellite station for RAF Wyton in 2 Group and the Battles of 12, 40…

RAF Wyton is in Cambridgeshire, four miles north east from Huntingdon. It first opened in 1916 but construction of a new airfield began in 1935 and it reopened in July 1936 as part of 2 Group. 139 Squadron and 114 Squadron flew Hinds and later…

RAF West Raynham was in Norfolk, two miles from the village of the same name and five miles south west of Fakenham . It opened in 1939 initially with grass runways as a training station for 2 Group. From 1940, a wide assortment of aircraft types,…

RAF Upwood was in Cambridgeshire two miles south west of Ramsey and seven miles north of Huntingdon . It re-opened with grass runways in 1937 with Blenheim squadrons and later served as a training station until it was converted to concrete runways in…

ACrawleyF151222.mp3
Fred Crawley joined the Royal Air Force in 1939 when he was 18 years old. While at an operational training unit he survived a crash which killed five members of his crew. He was treated in hospital at RAF Rauceby for burns. After training he…

PWrightB15010004.jpg
Pewter tankard with glass bottom. Inscription reads: 'THE OFFICERS 139 SQUADRON FROM W/CDR. D. P. LASCELLES. DEC. 1940.'.

PWrightB15010001.jpg
Pewter tankard with glass bottom. Inscription reads: 'Presented by Aircraft Workers of the Shadow Factory Speke to 139 (B) Squadron R.A.F. “To those who finish the job” '.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2