Browse Items (7 total)

  • Tags: 305 Squadron

RAF Hartford Bridge was in Hampshire ten miles south east of Reading and it opened in November 1942. It had been used to test Horsa, Hotspur and Hamilcar military gliders. The station was also used to develop FIDO and used by a variety of units,…

RAF Bramcote was in Warwickshire six miles south east of Nuneaton. It opened in September 1939 when 215 Squadron with Wellingtons moved in but stayed for just two weeks. During 1940 four Polish squadrons formed at RAF Bramcote with Battles. 300 and…

RAF Syerston was in Nottinghamshire, seven miles south-west of Newark-on-Trent. It opened in December 1940, and concrete runways were laid in 1942. It reopened as part of 5 Group Bomber Command. It was home to several squadrons and units flying a…

RAF Lindholme was an airfield in Yorkshire, seven miles north east of Doncaster. It was originally called RAF Halfield Woodhouse and opened in 1940 as a grass airfield. Its two runways were concreted and it reopened in October 1942 as a training…

RAF Ingham was in Lincolnshire eight miles north from Lincoln. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in that year, grass-surfaced, as a satellite of Hemswell. May 1942 saw 300 (Polish) Squadron’s Wellingtons arrive from Hemswell, leaving again…

RAF Hemswell was in Lincolnshire, eight miles east of Gainsborough. It was built in 1918 for the Royal Flying Corps. The Station closed in 1919 and returned to farmland but in 1936 it reopened as a bomber station with grass runways flying a variety…

MBeltonSLS190305-151120-030001.jpg
Outlines the history of RAF Hemswell starting from its origin as RAF Harpswell in 1918 until peacetime operations in the the 50s. The station was equipped with Ansons, then Blenheims. Part of No 3 Group, 61 and 144 Squadrons. Changed to No 5 Group,…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2