Browse Items (5 total)

  • Tags: 196 Squadron

PAzzaroVE1730.jpg
Four airmen at the tail of a Wellington. A fifth airman is sitting at the entrance of the rear turret. The Wellington is coded 'ZO-H', HF464. The photograph is signed by J W Beale, W F Temlett and F Elliott. On the reverse 'Azzaro, 196 Squadron…

RAF Witchford was in Cambridgeshire, two miles south west from Ely. Construction began in 1942 and it opened in June 1943 with concrete runways. 196 Squadron moved in in July but left again in November, being replaced by 115 Squadron that month and…

RAF Shepherds Grove was in Suffolk nine miles north-east of Bury St Edmunds. It opened in April 1944 and although it was originally intended for use by the United States Army Air Force, it was used initially by 3 Group in Bomber Command as a…

RAF Leconfield was in Yorkshire two miles north from Beverley. Construction began in 1935 and it opened in December 1936 with a grass surface. 97 and 166 Squadrons moved in in January 1937, remaining until the war began in September 1939. The station…

RAF Driffield was in Yorkshire, 12 miles north from Beverley. Construction began in 1935 and it opened in July 1936. The station was used by Fighter Command and Transport Command as well as Bomber Command. The runways were concreted in 1943 and it…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2