Browse Items (15 total)

  • Tags: 144 Squadron

LWoodsEH751788v1.pdf
Observer’s and air gunner’s flying log book for Eric Horace Woods, navigator, covering the period from 28 November 1939 to 10 July 1946. Detailing his flying training, operations flown, instructor duties, operations with transport command and…

LSmithEW174520v1.pdf
Pilot’s flying log book for Flight Sergeant Ernest Smith from 11 February 1939 to 31 March 1943, detailing his pilot training and 20 operations with 144 Squadron on the following targets in Belgium, France and Germany: Aachen, Antwerp, Brest,…

MStevensMH88219-161018-02.jpg
Certification of the death of 649384, Sergeant Ivor Roderick Fraser missing believed killed 8 September 1941.

LStevensP[Ser#-DoB]v1.pdf
Pilots flying log book for Peter Stevens, covering the period from 6 June 1940 to 7 September 1941 when he was taken prisoner of war and then from 26 July 1945 to 22 January 1947 and from 28 September 1952 to 19 September 1953. Detailing his flying…

SChattertonJ159568v10014.jpg
Account of training for and carrying out a daylight attack on Scharnhorst in Brest France in May of June probably 1941. Tactics were to use cloud cover but cloud dissipated before target and many aircraft lost. On the reverse part of a diagram of an…

RAF Strubby was in Lincolnshire, eight miles south-east of Louth. Construction began in 1943 and it opened in April 1944 as part of Coastal Command. It was transferred to Bomber Command in September 1944. The station closed in 1972.
It was home to:…

RAF North Luffenham was in Lincolnshire, five miles south west from Stamford. It was built as a training airfield, opening in December 1940. In January 1941 it accommodated the Number 17 Elementary Flying Training School which used Tiger Moths. It…

144 Squadron was first formed in 1918 and reformed in 1937.
At the start of the war 144 Squadron was stationed at RAF Hemswell in 5 Group and equipped with Hampdens. The squadron transferred to Coastal Command in April 1942 and continued its …

RAF Hemswell was in Lincolnshire, eight miles east of Gainsborough. It was built in 1918 for the Royal Flying Corps. The Station closed in 1919 and returned to farmland but in 1936 it reopened as a bomber station with grass runways flying a variety…

PBeltonSLS1514.jpg
Head and shoulders portrait of Sergeant Spencer Lewis Belton in uniform. On the reverse 'S.L.S. Belton D.F.M. 581261 reported missing Aug 10/11th 1940 of age March 5th-1940’ and ‘The Lawrence, 19, High Street, Doncaster’.

PBeltonSLS1513.jpg
The memorial honours three fallen of the parish: Spencer Lewis Belton, Raymond William Cook and Frank Hume.

PBeltonSLS1507.jpg
Formal group photograph of personnel in front of a Hampden. They are arranged in three rows, some seated some standing. A dog is in the middle: a hangar, a gantry crane and sandbags are visible in the background.

Additional information about this…

MBeltonSLS190305-151120-08.jpg
Petition for the award of Distinguished Flying Cross to Pilot Officer William Frank Tudhope and Distinguished Flying Medal to Sergeant Lewis Smith Belton. Provides details about the operation on Wilhelmshaven, damage by anti-aircraft fire, then the…

MBeltonSLS190305-151120-030001.jpg
Outlines the history of RAF Hemswell starting from its origin as RAF Harpswell in 1918 until peacetime operations in the the 50s. The station was equipped with Ansons, then Blenheims. Part of No 3 Group, 61 and 144 Squadrons. Changed to No 5 Group,…

E[Author]BeltonSLS400724-020001.jpg
Postagram from Charles Portal to Sergeant Spencer Lewis Belton RAF Hemswell congratulating on Distinguished Flying Medal.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2