Browse Items (7405 total)

PBanksP15020053.jpg
The first is a group of 12 men arranged in two rows in front of a building. Captioned 'Attachement (sic) to R.A.F. Stradishall for disastrous daylight raid by "Stirling" a/c'.
The second is a group of 20 airmen arranged in three rows in front of a…

PPOConnellDA16010021.jpg
Eleven airmen standing round Wing Commander Ross Tilley whilst another signs a menu at the table. He is smoking. Some of the airmen show facial burn scars. Captioned 'HQ1527', and on the reverse 'Ross Tilley RCAF patients'.

PBriggsR1608.jpg
A group of 12 airmen waving off Lancaster U. They have their backs to the camera. On the reverse 'F/O Roberts F/S Pidding F/S Smale F/S Briggs F/S Rosario. Sgt Bewon Sgt Davies being waved off by members of 576 Sqdn when taking off on 1000 bomber…

PBoldyDA15040010.jpg
Group of 12 men wearing tropical khaki drill shirts or tunics, shorts, long socks and shoes standing smiling at the camera; some carry a pith helmet with Royal Air Force flash on the side.

PBanksP15020132.jpg
Photographs 1 to 6 are of rocks with waves crashing over them.
Photograph 7 is of two airmen on rocks by a stream.
Photographs 8 and 9 include three airmen on rocks by the sea.
Photographs 10 to 12 are seascapes with waves crashing over rocks.

12 Squadron was formed in February 1915 at Netheravon, Wiltshire and re-formed in April 1923 at RAF Northolt. On the 26 September 1939, it was designated a Bomber squadron with 1 Group, 76 Wing, Advanced Air Striking Force, making it one of the first…

SMarshallS1594781v10004.jpg
A card with 52 signatures and the home town of participant on the Initial Training Wing course.
Syd Marshall's Airman's Alphabetical Index card.
The page is captioned '121 Intake I.T.W Bridlington'.

MHarrisonR[Ser#-DoB]-151208-03.jpg
A list of the course at 13 air gunner school.

PCaseyJ1516.jpg
13 airmen in two rows, front row of seven sitting and rear row of six standing. All are wearing greatcoats and side caps. In the background a wooden hut with windows. A board at the front reads 'No 126 Course Air Gunners Squad B, 13-12-43 [....]'.…

PCushwayAW16010002.jpg
A formation of 13 Ansons flying over a rocky coastline. Captioned 'Anson Squadron'.

Tags:

MHobbsFJ1262633-160404-15.jpg
Address for J Coppin at RAF Cranwell

PCavalierRG17010045.jpg
Photograph 1 is of a photographer taking a portrait of a French airman. Behind is the photographic lorry and awnings. Captioned 'Photographic tent.'
Photograph 2 is of Reginald George Cavalier painting a woman on the canvas of a tent. Captioned…

PWrightB15010001.jpg
Pewter tankard with glass bottom. Inscription reads: 'Presented by Aircraft Workers of the Shadow Factory Speke to 139 (B) Squadron R.A.F. “To those who finish the job” '.

PWrightB15010004.jpg
Pewter tankard with glass bottom. Inscription reads: 'THE OFFICERS 139 SQUADRON FROM W/CDR. D. P. LASCELLES. DEC. 1940.'.

PGildersleveG1702.jpg
14 Women’s Auxiliary Air Force personnel at Morecambe with a road and a row of buildings visible in the background. They are arranged in two rows, with the first row seated on a park bench, the second standing behind the first. There is a corporal…

PCalvertRA1503.jpg
Group portrait of 47 officers and airmen of 141 Squadron sitting front row and standing in three further rows. All are dressed in tunics with peaked caps or side caps. One person, eighth from left in third row up is in United States Army Air Force…

141 Squadron spent the first part of the war in Fighter Command. Initially equipped with Gladiators and Blenheims it converted to Defiants in April 1940. Following early daylight losses the squadron became a night-fighter squadron. In April 1941 it…

142 Squadron was formed in 1918 and reformed in 1934. In the early months of the war it was part of the Advanced Air Striking Force in France. By the end of 1940 the squadron converted to Wellingtons in 1 Group, but was posted to the Middle East in…

144 Squadron was first formed in 1918 and reformed in 1937.
At the start of the war 144 Squadron was stationed at RAF Hemswell in 5 Group and equipped with Hampdens. The squadron transferred to Coastal Command in April 1942 and continued its …

148 Squadron was reformed in 1937 and at the start of the war was a training squadron equipped with Ansons and Wellingtons. Subsequently the squadron was reformed in Malta, again with Wellingtons, and saw action in Libya and Egypt. Finally the…

149 Squadron was formed in 1918 and at the beginning of the war was stationed at RAF Mildenhall in 3 Group equipped with Wellingtons.
In November 1941 the squadron converted to Stirlings and it flew more sorties with the Stirling than any other…

PAllenDJ1532-0052.jpg
15 airmen in two rows, seven in front row kneeling and eight standing behind. All are wearing battledress and side cap. On the reverse 'No 1 AGS Pembrey, 30-1-44/25-3-44, Bert Davies kneeling third from right, passing out parade'.

PAllenDJ1532-0054.jpg
15 airmen in two rows, seven kneeling in the front and eight standing to the rear. All wearing battledress and side cap. On the reverse 'H. R. Harvey, kneeling extreme right, trainee air gunner, passing out parade, No 1 AGS Pembrey 1944'.

PAllenDJ1532-0034.jpg
15 airmen standing in two rows, front row of seven kneeling and rear row of eight standing. All are wearing battledress and side cap. There is a cross annotated above the fourth from the left back row. On the reverse 'Bottom right Bob Harvey'.

PAllenDJ1532-0050.jpg
15 airmen in two rows, eight in front kneeling and seven behind standing. All are in battledress with side cap. Derrick Allen is front row right extreme right. In the background open ground. On the reverse 'Derrick Allen kneeling extreme right,…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2