90 Squadron [concept]

Title

90 Squadron [concept]

Description

90 Squadron originally formed in 1917 and by 1939 it was equipped with Blenheims and used as a training squadron for Bomber Command. It merged with 35 Squadron to become 17 Operational Training Unit in April 1940. The squadron reformed in May 1941 as the first RAF squadron equipped with B-17s which it used in high level daylight bombing operations until these were discontinued in September 1941. The squadron was reformed again in November 1942, as part of 3 Group Bomber Command and equipped with Stirlings. The squadron converted to Lancasters in May 1944 with which it operated until the end of the war.
It was stationed at: RAF Upwood, RAF Watton, RAF West Raynham, RAF Polebrook, RAF Bottesford, RAF Ridgewell, RAF Wratting Common and RAF Tuddenham.
Aircraft flown included: Blenheim, B-17, Stirling and Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 650

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“90 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6278.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?