RAF Wratting Common [concept]

Title

RAF Wratting Common [concept]
RAF West Wickham; [concept]

Description

RAF Wratting Common was in Cambridgeshire three miles east from Balsham. Construction began in 1942 and it opened in May 1943 with concrete runways. 90 Squadron arrived in May, staying until October 1943 when it was replaced by 1651 HCU in November, this remaining for a year until November 1944 when 195 Squadron moved in; 195 disbanded in August 1945 and the airfield was then used for storage until closure in April 1946. It was originally known as West Wickham.
It was home to: 90 Squadron (Stirling), 1651 HCU (Stirling), 195 Squadron (Lancaster).
Wartime losses: 245

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Terry Hancock

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Wratting Common [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 20, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6503.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?