RAF Upwood [entry point]
Originally opened in 1916 RAF Upwood re-opened in 1937. In September 1939 it was occupied by 52 Squadron and 63 Squadron with Battles but these quickly moved out and replaced by 90 Squadron training Blenheim aircrews. In 1940 90 squadron combined with 35 Squadron to form 17 Operational Training Unit which continued to train Blenheim aircrews until April 1943. Concrete runways were then installed and RAF Upwood re-opened in early 1944 in 8 Group with the Pathfinder squadrons of 139 Squadron, with Mosquitos, and 156 Squadron, with Lancasters. Both units remained at the station until the end of the war.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.