RAF Polebrook [entry point]
RAF Polebrook was a Bomber Command station located in Northamptonshire, 3 mile (5 kms) east of Oundle
The station opened in 2 Group in June 1941 with 90 Squadron flying B-17s. The squadron was tasked with trial use by the RAF of B-17s as a high-altitude daylight bomber. The squadron flew B-17 operations from July 1941 to September 1941. RAF Polebrook was the only station in the first incarnation of 8 Group which was formed in September 1941 to operate B-17s and B-24s in the RAF. However the experiences of 90 Squadron with B-17s resulted in this version of 8 Group being disbanded in February 1942. RAF Polebrook was subsequently used by the United States Army Air Force with B-17s from June 1942 until the end of the war.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.