RAF Linton on Ouse [concept]

Title

RAF Linton on Ouse [concept]
RAF Linton-on-Ouse; [concept]

Description

RAF Linton-on-Ouse is in Yorkshire five miles south west from Easingwold. Construction began in 1936 and it opened in May 1937 with a grass surface. Concrete runways were laid August 1939-1940. 78 Squadron was replaced by 77 in the summer of 1940 and 77 was replaced by 102 in October but that unit’s stay was brief and 35 Squadron arrived in December 1940, remaining until August 1942 alongside 58. 76 Squadron arrived in May for a brief stay but returned in September 1942, this time staying until June 1943 together with its sister unit 78 Squadron. It then became a Canadian station when 408 and 426 Squadrons arrived in June 1943 and these remained based until the end of the war, then transferring to transport duties. From 1946 Linton became a fighter station until 1957, when it switched to flying training in which role it is still active – but is due to close in 2020.
It was home to: 102 Squadron, 35 Squadron, 4 Group, 405 Squadron, 408 Squadron, 426 Squadron, 51 Squadron, 58 Squadron, 76 Squadron, 77 Squadron and 78 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Halifax, Lancaster, Lysander and Whitley
Wartime losses: 1367

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Terry Hancock

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Linton on Ouse [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 23, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6445.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?