RAF Leconfield [concept]

Title

RAF Leconfield [concept]

Description

RAF Leconfield was in Yorkshire two miles north from Beverley. Construction began in 1935 and it opened in December 1936 with a grass surface. 97 and 166 Squadrons moved in in January 1937, remaining until the war began in September 1939. The station went briefly onto Care and Maintenance until reopening as a fighter base in October. The fighters remained until December 1941 when it closed to have concrete runways laid. On re-opening in December 1942 it once more housed bombers, those of 196 Squadron (to July 1943) and 466 Squadron, which stayed until June 1944, having been joined by 640 Squadron in January of that year. Other units were Beam Approach Training Flights. 96 Squadron formed for transport duties in December 1944 and 51 Squadron arrived for transport duties in April 1945.
It was home to: 97 Squadron, 166 Squadron, 196 Squadron, 466 Squadron, 640 Squadron, 96 Squadron and 51 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Anson, Whitley, Wellington and Halifax.
Wartime losses: 622

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Terry Hancock

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Leconfield [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 20, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6441.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?