218 Squadron [entry point]
By September 1939, 218 Squadron was stationed in France as part of the Advanced Air Striking Force equipped with Battles. After suffering heavy losses the squadron moved back to England in May 1940 to RAF Mildenhall and then to RAF Oakington and converted to Blenheims. In November 1940 the squadron transferred to RAF Marham in 3 Group and converted to Wellingtons. Stirlings superseded the Wellingtons in January 1942. From July 1942 to March 1944 the squadron was at RAF Downham Market and from March 1944 to August 1944 at RAF Woolfox Lodge. The squadron then moved to RAF Methwold and converted to Lancasters before finally moving to RAF Chedburgh in December 1944 where it stayed until the end of the war.Refinements:
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
This item has no relations.