RAF Mildenhall [entry point]
It opened in 1934 and by September 1939 the station was home to 149 Squadron in 3 Group. The squadron flew Wellingtons until converting to Stirlings in late 1941. In December 1941 419 Squadron moved in flying Wellingtons. During 1942 both 149 and 419 Squadrons moved out and were replaced by 75 Squadron and 115 Squadron, both flying Wellingtons. The station was closed for 5 months from November 1942 whilst concrete runways were laid and it re-opened in April 1943 with the arrival of 15 Squadron with Stirlings. 622 Squadron, also with Stirlings, was formed at RAF Mildenhall. By the end of 1943 both squadrons had converted to Lancasters which they operated from RAF Mildenhall until the end of the war.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.