RAF Oakington [entry point]
It opened in June 1940 as part of 2 Group and 218 Squadron moved in with Blenheims. In September 1940 the station transferred to 3 Group and 7 Squadron became the first squadron to use Stirlings. It became operational in February 1941 and stayed at the station until the end of the war, converting to Lancasters in November 1943. Concrete runways were laid during 1941. 7 Squadron was joined at the station in July 1941 by 101 Squadron with Wellingtons, staying until February 1942. In August 1942 7 Squadron and RAF Oakington transferred to the new Pathfinder force which became 8 Group in January 1943. 627 Squadron formed at RAF Oakington in November 1943 with Mosquitos, replaced in April 1944 by 571 Squadron also with Mosquitos.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.