RAF Methwold [concept]

Title

RAF Methwold [concept]

Description

RAF Methwold was in Nofolk, 10 miles north-west of Brandon. It opened with grass runways in 1939 as a satellite airfield for RAF Feltwell, just to the south. The runways were concreted in 1943 and it reopened in May 1944. Flying ceased in 1946 and the site returned to agriculture in 1958.
It was home to: 37 Squadron, 214 Squadron, 21 Squadron, 464 Squadron, 487 Squadron 218 Squadron and 207 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Wellington, Ventura, Stirling, Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 180

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Trevor Hardcastle

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Spatial Coverage

Citation

“RAF Methwold [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/5695.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?