223 Squadron [concept]

Title

223 Squadron [concept]

Description

223 Squadron was originally formed in 1918. It was reformed in 1936 and by the start of the war was equipped with Wellesleys and based in Sudan. It served in the Middle East and Mediterranean theatres and was based successively in Yemen, Egypt, Malta and Italy. It operated Blenheims, Bostons, Marylands and Baltimores until being disbanded in Italy on 12 August 1944. The squadron was reformed on 23 August 1944 as part of 100 Group in Bomber Command.
It was stationed at: RAF Oulton
Aircraft flown included: B-17s, B-24s
War time losses: 24

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“223 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed December 16, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6324.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?