RAF Woolfox Lodge [entry point]

Title

RAF Woolfox Lodge [entry point]

Description

RAF Woolfox Lodge was a Bomber Command station located in Rutland, 5 miles (8 kms) north-west of Stamford.

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses | Explore nearby

It was initially a grass satellite ground and, in 1940, used by the Hampdens of 14 Operational Training Unit. The station was then developed with concrete runways as part of 5 Group and re-opened in October 1941 when 61 Squadron moved in with Manchesters. The squadron started to convert to Lancasters before moving out in May 1942. The runways were extended and, on re-opening in June 1943 the station was transferred to 3 Group and 1665 Heavy Conversion Unit took up residence with Stirlings. The training unit moved out in January 1944 and two months later 218 Squadron moved in with Stirlings but converted to Lancasters in July 1944. The station was temporarily transferred to the United States Army Air Force from August to October 1944 but in November 1944 it returned to 3 Group and 1651 Heavy Conversion Unit took up residence with Stirlings and Lancasters.

Refinements:
   
Artwork                            Text
Map                                Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log      Text. Diary
Moving image                       Text. Log book and record book
Photograph                         Text. Memoir
Physical object                    Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing          Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration        Text. Service material
Sound                              Text. Training material
Technical aid

Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.

Citation

“RAF Woolfox Lodge [entry point],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed December 7, 2022, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6502.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.