214 Squadron [concept]

Title

214 Squadron [concept]
Federated Malay States Squadron; [concept]

Description

214 Squadron originally formed in 1917 as 14 (Naval) Squadron it became 214 Squadron on the formation of the RAF in April 1918. By September 1939 the squadron was flying Wellingtons as part of 3 Group stationed at RAF Methwold. It took part in its first operation of the war in June 1940. In September 1941 the squadron was adopted by the British Malayan Federation and its name was officially changed to 214 (Federated Malay States) Squadron. The Wellingtons were replaced by Stirlings in April 1942. In January 1944 214 Squadron transferred to 100 Group and converted to B-17s.
It was stationed at: RAF Methwold, RAF Stradishall, RAF Honington, RAF Chedburgh, RAF Downham Market, RAF Sculthorpe and RAF Oulton.
Aircraft flown included: Wellingtons Stirling and B-17.
Wartime losses: 643

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“214 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed July 22, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6321.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?