RAF Stradishall [entry point]
It originally opened as part of 3 Group in 1938 but in 1939 concrete runways were laid and the station re-opened in January 1940. 214 Squadron flying Wellingtons moved in and, in spring 1941, converted to Stirlings. 138 Squadron also used the station from November 1941 to March 1942 in its special duties role with Lysanders, Whitleys and Halifaxes. It was replaced by 109 Squadron with Wellingtons and Mosquitos, also in a special duties role. 101 Squadron Wellingtons stayed for 7 weeks. In October 1942 RAF Stradishall became 3 Group’s training station with Stirling conversion units. The station resumed operational flying in December 1944 with the Lancasters of 186 Squadron.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.