RAF Sculthorpe [concept]
RAF Sculthorpe was a Bomber Command station located in Norfolk, 3 miles (5 kms) west of Fakenham.
It opened in October 1942 as part of 2 Group. The first unit to arrive was 342 Squadron in May 1943 with Free French personnel flying Bostons. They became operational in June but moved out in July 1943 and replaced by 464 Squadron and 487 Squadron, both with Venturas. The two squadrons converted to Mosquitos and were joined in September 1943 at the station by 21 Squadron also with Mosquitos. In January 1944 the station transferred to 100 Group and 214 Squadron arrived with B-17s in an electronic counter measures role. The squadron became operational in April 1944 but moved out in May 1944 when the station started to be reconstructed to Very Heavy Bomber status but which was not completed until after the end of the war. There were no losses from the station during the war. The site is still used for training by the Ministry of Defence.
This item has no relations.