101 Squadron [concept]

Title

101 Squadron [concept]

Description

101 Squadron served in the First World War and was re-formed in March 1928. During the Second World War, they flew Blenheims until May 1941 as part of 2 and 3 Group Bomber Command. The squadron was moved to 1 Group in October 1942, it converted to the Lancaster and in June 1943 moved to RAF Ludford Magna in Lincolnshire. It began operations with Airborne Cigar in 1944. This entailed carrying an additional crew member and equipment used to jam the German night fighter controllers. The squadron was disbanded in 1957.
It was stationed at: RAF West Raynham, RAF Oakington, RAF Bourn, RAF Stradishall, RAF Home-on-Spalding Moor and RAF Ludford Magna.
Aircraft flown included: Blenheim, Wellington and Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 1170

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Gemma Clapton
Trevor Hardcastle

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“101 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed September 23, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6282.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?