99 Squadron [concept]

Title

99 Squadron [concept]

Description

99 Squadron was originally formed in 1917, and in 1938, was the first squadron to be equipped with Wellingtons. As part of 3 Group, It was stationed at RAF Newmarket from mid- September 1939 to March 1941 when it moved to RAF Waterbeach. It transferred to India in February 1942 to conduct bombing operations against the Japanese in Burma, Thailand and Malaya. B-24s replaced the Wellingtons in September 1944.
It was stationed at: RAF Mildenhall, RAF Elmdon, RAF Newmarket and RAF Waterbeach.
Aircraft flown included: Wellington
Wartime losses: 223

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“99 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed July 16, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6281.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?