RAF Bourn [concept]

Title

RAF Bourn [concept]

Description

RAF Bourn was in Cambridgeshire six miles west of Cambridge. Construction began in 1940 and it opened with three concrete runways in 1942. In February 1942, 101 Sqn arrived, equipped with Wellington bombers and were replaced in August by 15 Sqn which flew Stirlings. When they transferred to RAF Mildenhall in April 1943, 97 Sqn moved in with their Lancasters and stayed until March 1944. RAF Bourn was also home to 105 Mosquito Squadron and in December 1944, 162 Sqn, also equipped with Mosquitoes moved in. The station closed for flying in 1945 and has since retirned to agricultural use.
It was home to: 101 Squadron, 15 Squadron, 97 Squadron, 162 Squadron and 105 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Wellington, Stirling, Lancaster and Mosquito.
Wartime losses: 1605

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Clare Bennett
Julian Maslin

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Bourn [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/5642.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?