78 Squadron [concept]

Title

78 Squadron [concept]

Description

78 Squadron was reformed in November 1936 from B flight of 10 Squadron, originally flying Heyford night bombers. By September 1939, the squadron was flying Whitleys and was acting as a reserve squadron taking on pilots who had passed out from the Group Pool training units. The squadron became operational in July 1940 and remained part of Bomber Command's main bomber force until the end of the war. In March 1942 the Whitley was replaced by the Halifax, and the squadron retained that aircraft until the summer of 1945.
It was stationed at: RAF Ternhill, RAF Dishforth, RAF Linton-on-Ouse, RAF Middleton St George and RAF Breighton.
Aircraft flown included: Whitley and Halifax.
Wartime losses: 982

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Clare Bennett
Julian Maslin

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“78 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6274.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?