RAF Dishforth [entry point]

Title

RAF Dishforth [entry point]

Description

RAF Dishforth was a Bomber Command station located in Yorkshire, 3 miles (5 kms) north from Boroughbridge.

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses | Explore nearby

It opened in September 1936 as part of 4 Group. In September 1939 10 Squadron and 78 Squadron, both with Whitleys, took up residence. 51 Squadron, also with Whitleys, replaced 78 Squadron in December 1939. 10 Squadron moved out in July 1940, replaced by the return of 78 Squadron which stayed until April 1942. 51 Squadron left in May 1942. In June 1942 425 Squadron and 426 Squadron were both formed with Wellingtons and they, and the station, were transferred to 6 Group in October 1942. The station was closed from May to November 1943 for the construction of hard runways. On re-opening the station was used for a month by the return of 425 Squadron, then with Halifaxes. Also in November 1943 1664 Heavy Conversion Unit with Halifaxes moved in and stayed until April 1945.

Refinements:
   
Artwork                            Text
Map                                Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log      Text. Diary
Moving image                       Text. Log book and record book
Photograph                         Text. Memoir
Physical object                    Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing          Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration        Text. Service material
Sound                              Text. Training material
Technical aid

Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.

Citation

“RAF Dishforth [entry point],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed May 22, 2022, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6407.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.