RAF Croft [entry point]

Title

RAF Croft [entry point]

Description

RAF Croft was a Bomber Command station located in Yorkshire, 6 miles (10 kms) south of Darlington.

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses | Explore nearby

It opened in October 1941 as part of 4 Group. The first occupant was 78 Squadron, initially with Whitleys but the squadron converted to Halifaxes in April 1942. It moved out in June 1942 to allow the runways to be extended. In September 1942 419 Squadron moved in for just a month converting from Wellingtons to Halifaxes. 427 Squadron, with Wellingtons, became operational at RAF Croft in December 1942 just before it, and the station, transferred to 6 Group in January 1943. In May 1943 427 Squadron moved out following which the station was used by 1664 Heavy Conversion Unit with Halifaxes. 431 Squadron and 434 Squadron, both with Halifax, took up residence in December 1943, both converting to Lancasters in late 1944.

Refinements:
   
Artwork                            Text
Map                                Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log      Text. Diary
Moving image                       Text. Log book and record book
Photograph                         Text. Memoir
Physical object                    Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing          Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration        Text. Service material
Sound                              Text. Training material
Technical aid

Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.

Contributor

Citation

“RAF Croft [entry point],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed May 18, 2022, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6405.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.