77 Squadron [entry point]

Title

77 Squadron [entry point]

Description

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses

At the start of the Second World War 77 Squadron was equipped with Whitleys at RAF Driffield as part of 4 Group. From August to October 1940 the squadron was at RAF Linton on Ouse and moved to RAF Topcliffe until September 1941. From then until May 1942 it was based at RAF Leeming by when it had carried out the most operations and suffered the most losses by a Whitley squadron. From May to October 1942 the squadron was loaned to Coastal Command. In October 1942 the squadron moved back to 4 Group at RAF Elvington and converted to Halifaxes. In May 1944 it moved to RAF Full Sutton from where it operated until the end of the war.

Refinements:
   
Artwork                            Text
Map                                Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log      Text. Diary
Moving image                       Text. Log book and record book
Photograph                         Text. Memoir
Physical object                    Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing          Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration        Text. Service material
Sound                              Text. Training material
Technical aid

Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.

Citation

“77 Squadron [entry point],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed May 21, 2022, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6273.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.