RAF Breighton [concept]

Title

RAF Breighton [concept]

Description

RAF Breighton was in Yorkshire six miles east north east of Selby. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in January 1942, having concrete runways. 460 Squadron moved in in January and its Conversion Flight joined it in May with Halifaxes, becoming A Flight of 1656 Heavy Conversion Unit in October. In November this unit left and 460 Squadron departed for Lincolnshire, being replaced by 78 Squadron which operated Halifaxes before being transferred to Transport Command at war’s end and re-equipping with C-47s. The airfield closed in 1947 but was reopened in 1959 as a missile site. It closed in 1963 and is now a civil aerodrome.
It was home to: 460 Squadron (Wellington, Halifax, Lancaster) January 1942-May 1943; 460 Conversion Flight (Halifax) May-August 1942 and again from September-November 1942 when it became A Flight of 1656 Heavy Conversion Unit; A Flt 1656 Heavy Conversion Unit (Halifax) October-November 1942; 78 Squadron (Halifax, C-47).
Wartime losses: 858

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Terry Hancock

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Breighton [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 20, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6396.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?