RAF Middleton St George [entry point]
It opened in January 1941 as part of 4 Group and was first used by 78 Squadron equipped with Whitleys. In June 1941 78 squadron was joined at the station by 76 Squadron flying Halifaxes. 78 Squadron converted to Halifaxes in June 1942. Both squadrons moved out when the station transferred to 6 Group. 420 Squadron with Wellingtons arrived in October 1942 joined a month later by 419 Squadron with Halifaxes. In May 1943 420 Squadron left and was replaced by 428 Squadron with Halifaxes. Both 419 Squadron and 428 Squadron converted to Canadian-built Lancasters in April-June 1944 which they operated until the end of the war. The site is now Teesside International Airport.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.