RAF Driffield [entry point]
RAF Driffield was a Bomber Command station located in Yorkshire, 12 miles (19 kms) north from Beverley.
It opened in July 1936 and by September 1939 was in 4 Group and occupied by the Whitleys of 77 Squadron and 102 Squadron. Fighter Command used the station from January to April 1941 before it returned to Bomber Command 4 Group with 104 Squadron and, briefly, 405 Squadron, both flying Wellingtons. In February 1942 104 Squadron was renumbered 158 Squadron before moving out in June 1942. In the autumn of 1942 196 Squadron and 466 Squadron both formed at the station but moved out before becoming operational. Concrete runways were laid and the station re-opened in June 1944 with 466 Squadron returning with Halifaxes. 462 Squadron formed at the station with Halifaxes in August 1944 and stayed until December 1944 leaving 466 Squadron as sole resident until the end of the war.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.