RAF Topcliffe [entry point]

Title

RAF Topcliffe [entry point]

Description

RAF Topcliffe was a Bomber Command station located in Yorkshire, 3 miles (5 kms) south-west of Thirsk.

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses | Explore nearby

It opened in September 1940 as part of 4 Group. 77 Squadron moved in with Whitleys, staying until September 1941. It was joined by the Whitleys of 102 Squadron which stayed from November 1940 to November 1941. Concrete runways were laid November 1941 - June 1942. The station was transferred to 6 Group and 405 Squadron Halifaxes arrived in August 1943, as did the Wellingtons of 419 Squadron although both squadrons left by October 1943. 424 Squadron was formed in October 1943 with Wellingtons staying until April 1944 when the station switched to training with 1659 Heavy Conversion Unit (HCU) with Halifaxes. In November 1944 1659 HCU converted to Lancasters and it, and the station, transferred to 7 Group.

Refinements:
   
Artwork                            Text
Map                                Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log      Text. Diary
Moving image                       Text. Log book and record book
Photograph                         Text. Memoir
Physical object                    Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing          Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration        Text. Service material
Sound                              Text. Training material
Technical aid

Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.

Citation

“RAF Topcliffe [entry point],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed July 6, 2022, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/24543.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.