RAF Leeming [concept]
RAF Leeming was a Bomber Command station located in Yorkshire, 7 miles (11 kms) south-west from Northallerton.
It opened in June 1940 as part of 4 Group. 10 Squadron arrived in July 1940 with Whitleys. 7 Squadron re-formed at the station in August 1940 with Stirlings. The Whitleys of 102 Squadron also arrived in August 1940 but within two months both they and 7 Squadron had left. 35 Squadron arrived with Halifaxes in November 1940 but only stayed two weeks. 10 Squadron was joined by the Whitleys of 77 Squadron in September 1941, staying until May 1942. 10 Squadron converted to Halifaxes in November 1941. In September 1942 408 Squadron arrived with Hampdens but immediately converted to Halifaxes. The following month 1659 Heavy Conversion Unit (HCU) with Halifaxes was formed at the station and the station transferred to 6 Group in January 1943. Between January and August 1943 both 408 Squadron and 1659 HCU left and 405 Squadron Halifaxes and 424 Squadron Wellingtons had brief stays. By August 1943 RAF Leeming was occupied by the Halifaxes of 427 Squadron and 429 Squadron, both of which stayed until the end of the war, converting to Lancasters in March 1945. RAF Leeming is still in use as an RAF station.
This item has no relations.