10 Squadron [concept]

Title

10 Squadron [concept]

Description

10 Squadron was originally formed in 1915 at Farnborough. In 1939, the squadron was part of 4 Group Bomber Command and the Squadron’s Whitleys carried out leaflet-dropping raids over Germany during the early months of the war. The squadron converted to Halifaxes in 1941, and a detachment was sent to Aqir in July 1942, to form the nucleus of No. 462 Squadron. It was transferred to Transport Command in May 1945 and is still operational today.
It was stationed at: RAF Dishforth, RAF Leeming and RAF Melbourne.
Aircraft flown included: Whitley and Halifax.
Wartime losses: 856

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Clare Bennett
Julian Maslin

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“10 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed November 14, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6252.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?