9 Squadron [concept]

Title

9 Squadron [concept]

Description

9 Squadron was formed as a Royal Flying Corps unit at St Omer, France in December 1914. In February 1939, the squadron moved to RAF Honington, equipped with the Wellington and was first employed in anti-shipping operations. The squadron was occasionally attached to Coastal Command. In September 1942 the Squadron converted to Lancasters and moved to RAF Waddington as part of 5 Group. Following a move to RAF Bardney in 1943, the Squadron specialised in dropping large bombs, in particular the 12,000lb (5,440kg) Tallboy and the squadron participated in the successful operation to sink the German battleship Tirpitz in November 1944.

It was stationed at: RAF Honington, RAF Waddington and RAF Bardney

Aircraft flown included: Heyford, Wellington, Lancaster.

Wartime losses: 1061

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Clare Bennett
Julian Maslin
Gemma Clapton

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“9 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed July 22, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6251.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?