RAF Dalton [concept]

Title

RAF Dalton [concept]

Description

RAF Dalton was in Yorkshire four miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1941 and it opened in November 1941 with a grass surface. 102 Squadron moved in that month with Whitleys and was joined by its Conversion Flight with Halifaxes in January 1942. 78 Conversion Flight stayed briefly during June 1942. The station closed while concrete runways were laid in June 1942, and reopened in November with 428 Squadron. It then became a home for 1666 Heavy Conversion Unit and various training flights. The station closed in 1956.
It was home to 102 Squadron (Whitley, Halifax) November 1941-June 1942, 420 Squadron (Halifax) November 1943-December 1943, 428 Squadron and 424 Squadron.
Wartime losses: 126

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Terry Hancock

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Dalton [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6406.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?