RAF East Kirkby [concept]

Title

RAF East Kirkby [concept]

Description

RAF East Kirkby was in Lincolnshire, seven miles south-east from Horncastle. Construction began in 1942 and it opened in August 1943 when 57 Squadron moved in. 630 Squadron was formed at the station and both squadrons operated Lancasters from there until the end of the war. The station was sold in 1964 and is now occupied by the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, a memorial to Bomber Command, complete with Lancaster NX611, ‘Just Jane’.
It was home to: 57 Squadrons and 630 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 833

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF East Kirkby [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 20, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6412.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?