50 Squadron [concept]

Title

50 Squadron [concept]

Description

50 Squadron was reformed in May 1937 and converted from biplanes to Hampdens in 1938 becoming part of 5 Group Bomber Command. The squadron flew daylight operations in Hampdens at start of the war until losses proved too great. They converted to Manchesters and later Lancasters in 1942 and moved to RAF Skellingthorpe in the same year, where it remained for the rest of the war. It was disbanded in January 1951.
It was stationed at: RAF Waddington, RAF Lindholme, RAF Swinderby and RAF Skellingthorpe.
Aircraft flown included: Hampden, Manchester and Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 1010

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Gemma Clapton

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“50 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed June 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6264.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?