RAF Swinderby [concept]

Title

RAF Swinderby [concept]

Description

RAF Swinderby was in Lincolnshire, eight miles south-west of Lincoln. It opened in August 1940 as part of 1 Group Bomber Command when it was home to the first two Polish Squadrons with the RAF. The runways were concreted in November 1941, and it reopened in June 1942 as part of 5 Group. After the war is was used as a training establishment until it closed in 1993.
It was home to: 300 Squadron, 301 Squadron, 50 Squadron, 455 Squadron and 1660 Heavy Conversion Unit
Aircraft flown included: Battle, Wellington, Oxford, Hampden, Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling, Manchester, Harvard.
Wartime losses: 319

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Hugh Donnelly

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Swinderby [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6482.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?