49 Squadron [concept]

Title

49 Squadron [concept]

Description

49 Squadron was formed in the First World War but reformed in 1936 as part of 3 Group Bomber Command. Its motto was Cave Canem (Beware of the Dog). Having flown more Hampden sorties during the war than any other squadron, it converted to Manchesters in April 1942 and later to Lancasters in July the same year. The squadron moved to RAF Fiskerton in January 1943, to RAF Fulbeck in October 1944 and to RAF Syerston in April 1945. It was disbanded in May 1965.
It was stationed at: RAF Scampton, RAF Fiskerton, RAF Fulbeck and RAF Syerston.
Aircraft flown included: Hampden, Manchester and Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 907

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore
Clare Bennett
Julian Maslin

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“49 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed June 16, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6263.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?