RAF Scampton [concept]

Title

RAF Scampton [concept]

Description

RAF Scampton is in Lincolnshire six miles north of Lincoln. It opened in 1916 but closed after the end of the First World War. It was rebuilt and reopened in 1936 and was home to several squadrons flying Hampdens, Manchesters and Lancasters part of both 1 Group and 5 Group Bomber Command. The runways were upgraded between August 1943 and October 1944. The station is still in use today, but is scheduled to close in 2022.
It was home to: 49 Squadron, 57 Squadron, 83 Squadron, 153 Squadron, 617 Squadron and 625 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Hampden, Manchester, Lancaster
Wartime losses: 1070

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Hugh Donnelly
Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Scampton [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 20, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/5703.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?